Webinar Review: “Neuroscience of resilience and change”, Ms Maria Engels


The interesting webinar by Maria-Luisa Engels, conducted at the 28th of July 2022, touched different aspects of resilience from the perspective of neuroscience. With rare combination of a background of automotives and neuroscience, Ms. Engels is a coach and consultant, who helps train individual and corporates tackle business challenges. Through this webinar, Ms. Engels shed light on the scientific aspect to understand the brain and mind-body connection, to learn the science of resilience, innovation and change from the lens of neuroscience. This webinar introduced strategies and methods to train the brain in certain ways, that we might otherwise consider impossible to apply.

Here are some interesting facts, touched in this webinar:


  • A large factor of who we are, is controlled by our subconscious mind. Biological facts suggest, that much of our behaviour, skill and habits owing to about 95% are controlled by our subconscious mind, while the remaining 5% corresponding to logic, reasoning and creativity are a virtue of our conscious mind.
    The mind is a beautiful and complicated organ, that boats a million neurons affecting the way we function. Thus, the term neuroplasticity exciting, but widely ignored by us commons. Neuroplasticity is the ability of the brain to form and recognize synaptic connections in response to learning or experience. We can train our brain for it is malleable to repetitive actions.
  • A Hebbian theory of repetition also reiterates the facts on how strong neural connections are formed on performing repetitive activities. If the inputs to your system (the brain) cause the same pattern of activity to occur repeatedly, the set of active elements (neurons) will become increasingly strongly inter-linked. That is, each element will tend to turn on every other element and to turn off the elements that do not form part of the pattern. To put it another way, the pattern will become 'auto-associated'. Thus, repetitively doing or undoing a particular task will promote it as a habit.
  • The biology of stress and emotion is interesting to promote a reward-based existence. While threat increases stress, reward promotes creation. It is thus viable to focus on creating a reward to feel motivated to follow tasks to create better things.
  • Another important aspect of the brain is in recognizing threats. The mind is a strong tool, which however cannot differentiate between an imaginary threat and a real one. The result of this is increased anxiety and adrenaline secretion. The feeling of frustration creeps in. Keeping a healthy thought-process is thus essential for wellbeing. It also helps to monitor how you react to such stimuli.
  • The heart-brain connection is as vital as looking at them as two important organs. They are connected by an internal nervous system, which houses special carriers of emotions and feeling.
  • On monitoring heart waves, it can be concluded, that frustration, anxiety, worry, irritation or similar emotions trigger heart incoherence and - in turn - the brain is also incoherent. This impairs performance of individuals. This means that better well-being and increased performance ensure more coherence. For example, in longer runs it is seen, that the more coherence, the more resilient is a
  • Just like how one often studies the hardest on the eve of an exam, a healthy amount of stress can improve performance. However, prolonged period of stress can lead to break-down and burnout. The hint is to tread the thin line and be on the positive side of stress to improve performance.


From this informative webinar it can be concluded, that neuroscience essentially delivers scientific explanations to the fact, that the brain is a powerful tool, which is neuroplastic and can create multiple links to store or delete a repetitive action. You learn, unlearn, break or make patterns, which the brain acknowledges through neural links.
Several factors affect the formation of these neural links, stress is an inhibitor. Thus, it is important to be aware of your response to stressors as well as be aware and regulate your emotions and apply corrective measures to tread a desirable road to positive emotions.


It was a rather informative webinar on how the brain works and how you should train it to be resilient and is recommended to anyone, who is keen on developing a wholesome knowledge in these lines.









Im Folgenden haben wir Ihnen Neuigkeiten, eigene Gedankengänge sowie Beobachtungen aus der Welt der Weiterbildung zusammengestellt.

Schauen Sie doch einfach einmal rein!

APP-CHECK im Monat Oktober– Studienkompass

von Dirk Raguse am 31.10.2023


dirk raguse
training · coaching · beratung

Bredeneyer Str. 111a
45133 Essen

Telefon: (0201) 36 80 570
Mobil: (0179) 13 60 119
Fax: (0201) 36 80 557

E-Mail: [email protected]
Web: www.dirk-raguse.de